.

Clothes Dryer Causes Fire In Menifee

Firefighters received the call Sunday for the fire in the 33000 block of Jasper Circle in Menifee.

File photo/CC-BY-3.0
File photo/CC-BY-3.0

A faulty clothes dryer caused a fire early Sunday morning at a Menifee home, a fire official is reporting, and residents are reminded that blazes caused by these appliances are not uncommon. 

Firefighters received a 911 call at 1:52 a.m. in the 33000 block of Jasper Circle about the blaze. They arrived to find light smoke coming from the single-story home, Cal Fire/Riverside County Fire Department spokesman Mark Annas reported.

The small fire was contained to the dryer by 2:03 p.m., Annas explained. One resident was transported to an area hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation, he continued. 

Dryers and washing machines were involved in one out of every 22 home structure fires reported to U.S. fire departments in 2006-2010, and clothes dryers accounted for 92 percent of those blazes, according to the National Fire Protection Association website.

The leading cause of the fires was failure to clean them (32 percent), followed by mechanical failure or malfunction (22 percent), and eight percent were caused by some type of electrical failure or malfunction, the website continued.

Click here to read the full report, including safety tips.




David Roper January 21, 2014 at 01:59 PM
To all readers keep safe by cleaning your dryer ducts and filters clean!

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something