Friday night the Lake Elsinore Police Department conducted a DUI/driver's license checkpoint and nabbed two people – one on suspicion of drunk driving, the other for suspected vehicle theft. The checkpoint, which started at 7 p.m., was located at the intersection of Mission Trail and Malaga.
“The goal of the DUI checkpoint was to deter impaired and suspended drivers and raise public awareness of the dangers of driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol,” said Sgt. Peter Giannakakos of the Lake Elsinore Sheriff’s Station.
William Watkins, 22, was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence, while William Huntsinger, 31, was picked up on suspicion of vehicle theft, the sergeant reported.
According to Giannakakos, stats from Friday night’s checkpoint include:
- 1,300 vehicles passed through the checkpoint
- 60 vehicles were diverted to secondary screening
- 8 people were given field sobriety tests
- 1 DUI suspect was arrested
- 4 vehicles stored or impounded for 30 days
- 16 unlicensed and suspended drivers sent to court